Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Eye phone four - the story

The scam people do, is abomidable.

Celcom is currently still having its iphone 4 promotion which, to me, is a money saving voice plus data plan.





I went to the dealer shop next to celcom's main ofice yesterday to buy the promotion. Finally, I thought, there is a need to change the smartphone to a more sleeker one to get a better advantage from the free medical apps.

Unfortunately, the iphone 4 is out stock. But, they can sell the package to me, minus the device. This is odd. In the advertisement, celcom is promoting both the device and the package together. So I thought it was a minor issue, and that I could get the iphone 4 elsewhere, at the same package price offered. I bought the package - i98.

Unfortunately enough, the whole town was out of iphone 4. The only iphone 4 left was those bundled with another telco's package, which I was not interested in.

Madam helped contacted the celcom's help line. Yes, that call confirmed my suspicion. The iphone 4 was meant to be sold with the package, and not separately.

So I went back to the dealer today, to ask them if they could get me the iphone from somewhere, for example, KL? Madam would be happy to assist me taking the device. The celcom careline officer informed that there are still many unsold iphone 4 in the Pavillion and in Celcom tower.

The dealer's reply - that was not possible. I went to the main celcom's office , which, was luckily next to the dealer's office to inform them of my ordeal. I wanted them to help me out to get the iphone 4 from elsewhere, but at the promoted price of course. Sensing something fishy is going on, a check on the account revealed that my sim card has been paired with the imei number of a iphone 4. Strangely for celcom officer, I do not have the device. She repeated what the celcom careline officer had mentioned - package and iphone not sold separately.

After half and hour of failed attempts to get the dealer's manager to come up to celcom, the celcom's officer led me to the dealer instead to resolve the issue. A few hagglings and soft contentions exchanged between us. Finally, they agreed that they will refund me my upfront money of RM300. And since I opted out of the package and revert back to my old package (Exec 50), the penalty incurred that cost RM500 will be settled by the dealer themselves - payable to celcom.

I did not get back the RM300 in cash, since it has been creditted from my account. So, for the next few months, celcom will debit my phone bills from my account.

Imagine having to buy the iphone 4 at market's price of RM2190. That's RM600 extra money. The lesson to be learnt here is, be aware of the your surrounding, people makes use of human's weak points to gain advantage. Be honest and straight forward in doing business. Beating about the bush, twisting facts (like politicians) in the hope of making people confused is not doing business, it is in fact cheating. Power to the people, the consumer is always right. Never let down your guns if you think that your consumer's rights are violated. Last but not least, every now and then we have brushes with people, different individuals with different opinions. Arguments or dispute or polemics need to be deciphered carefully and peacefully. There are ethics in engaging altercation.

I checked the celcom's website again later this afternoon, the iphone 4 promotion has been removed.

No comments: