Thursday, May 06, 2010

Food again at Sri Payang Restaurant, Kota Bharu

Salam..

It has been awhile since I last posted about food. I would just steal some time off from the usual chores to note on this.

Talking about food has been beginning to become a redundant topic. There are many great resources on food especially Malaysia in any other blogs or web resources. I guess, the more the merrier. It is just a personal account on what was encountered during those "gastro clinic" or "gastro rounds" in the local scene.

I love seafood. Most people do. An eruption of taste occures when seafood teams up with the word Thai. I had a chance, actually twice to taste the food in Sri Payang Restaurant in Jalan Sri Cemerlang, Kota Bharu. I think the food was great, the expected Scoville heat unit (the spiciness) of certain food ordered was tolerable and the ingredient added was generous enough to make it tasteful. With the ambient playing to the tune of some oldies, accompanied by friends and loved ones, all the more memorable.

Say no more, here are the pics of what was eaten.. enjoy!

 Crispy Squid

Stirfried mix vegetable.. a must in every meal.

Soft shell crab in cheese dip...

Oyster Omelette or Or Chien.. This Or Chien was quite unusual to me. It was very crispy with the oyster lumped in middle. Most of the nutrition-empty crispy part was left behind in the end. Until now, there are a few versions of Or Chien that I have encountered in Malaysia. The Sabah one was meaty, soaggy with oil, not crispy and without interesting presentation (yet delightful). The Top Spot Seafood in Kuching (can't remember which stall) looks huge although actually empty with pieces of oyster actually in the middle. The sides of the omelette is crispy and quite tasteless. I still prefer the Or Chien in Palm Garden Seafood in Buntal. The oyster are evently distrbuted in the omelette. So everybody will have an equal share of oyster in a slice.

Red Mixed Tom Yam... I would say, some of the best Tom Yam in Malaysia comes from Kota Bharu. No doubt that there are other places that serves good Tom Yam too, and I wish I have a chance to taste them all. I postulate that the proximity with Thailand and the strong connections with the Siamese bloodlines are some of the strong factors to churn out good Tom Yam.

Would I go there again, yes, if I manage to lower down the levels of LDL, TG and total cholesterol by doing some cardio. This reminds me of a Quranic verse 216 Surah Al Baqarah which, by translation mentioned that one may dislike a thing although it is good for you and love a thing although it is bad for you, Allah knows and you know not. I love seafood, but too much of its indulgence opens the door to too many lifestyle diseases. The best, moderation.

God Bless Malaysia.

No comments: