Saturday, March 13, 2010

I miss home

An article from The Star online edition which, most of the time depicts the real situation in the blessed land of the Hornbills. 

_____________

Truly 1Malaysia

Robert Raymer, 53, American University lecturer
“I moved to Penang in 1985 to be with my first wife. We divorced a few years later, but there’s always a silver lining to a cloud as that was when I met Jenny, a Bidayuh from Sarawak.

“We got married in 2001 and have two boys, Jason, five, and Justin, three. After 21 years in Penang, we decided to move to Kuching in 2006 so that we could be closer to Jenny’s family.

Robert Raymer and family love life in Sarawak.

“What I love about Sarawak is the diversity of the people. People are more friendly, easy-going and relaxed compared to Peninsular Malaysia. There are so many mixed races that people can’t tell and don’t question if you’re Malay, Chinese or one of the ethnic tribes. I think this environment creates better equal opportunities as I see it among my students.

Many families here have relatives of various races, and that it is truly 1Malaysia! Muslims here are less fussy about food and are more open, (I interprete this in two ways, one, he saw muslims eating in an eatery with  strictly certified halal outlets prepared by non muslims or have majority non muslim workers, and, two, more education and exposure are needed to educate couldn't careless muslims on the halal and haram of food) which I think makes them more tolerant and accepting of other races and religions. You don’t feel any racial tension. Some of my friends who work here don’t want to go back to Peninsular Malaysia because of the tension. They prefer the much more peaceful and harmonious life here.

Kuching is great because it’s so clean! It has a beautiful waterfront and a fascinating history, plus we have three national parks within two hours’ drive.

“The orang utan at Semenggoh Wildlife Recreation Centre are a mere 10 minutes away. My favourite is the Bako National Park where the wildlife actually comes to you. There’s an awesome annual Rainforest Music Festival, too, which we’ve attended four times in a row.

“I see myself staying in Sarawak for a long time. Yes, I do miss the change of the seasons but I’d rather sunny weather then below zero temperatures for 50 straight days. Malaysia — Sarawak — this is home for me, for Jenny and for our children.”

With that, here is a nice conclusion to add to the home coming atmosphere for those who has not been back to your respective hometowns to see your parents, families and loved ones - Aku Ingin Pulang by Abiet G Ade. 




No comments: